Make inclusivity a part of your playtime doodles from an early age!
For your kiddo to celebrate all natural skin tones. Only the best skin tone colored pencils. Non-toxic, Safety-Tested. Socially-Responsible.
Affiliate Link Disclosure – If you see a product you like and click through to buy it, I would genuinely appreciate it. I may earn a small commission — at no extra cost to you. It would mean a lot, thanks!
Best Inclusive Children’s Colored Pencils for Skin Tones of All Shades
Earlier than 4 years / 48 months — I still recommend crayons over colored pencils. But maybe sharp pointy pencil ends don’t give your family the heebee jeebees. (I’m scared, those things are dangerous!)
In any case, start your lesson in diversity with close parental supervision. After 4 years old, look for thick-core colored pencils — which are easier for young children to grab (because they’re wider than standard colored pencils) and draw chunkier, broader strokes.
- (01) Giotto Stilnovo Early Years Skintones Colouring Pencils (3+ Years, 12 Count)
- (02) Crayola “Colors of the World” Children’s Skin Tone Colored Pencils (8, 24, or Class Pack)
- (03) Lyra Color-Giants Extra-Wide Skin Tone Young Kids Colored Pencils (12 Count, 4+ Years)
- (04) Faber-Castell “World Colors Ecopencils” Diversity Colored Pencils for Kids (27 Count)
- (05) Sargent Art Multi-Ethnic Colored Pencils with Assorted Skin Tones (8 Count)
- (06) Mudpuppy “We Are Colorful” Skin Tone Colored Pencils Gift Box (12 Count)
- (07) Entrepreneurs Color Too “Proud African Names” Coloring Book Pencils (12 Count)
- (08) Dainayw “Pastel for People’s Faces” Thick Soft Skin Tone Pastel Pencils (12 Count)
(01) Giotto Stilnovo Early Years Skintones Colouring Pencils (3+ Years, 12 Count)
Who in this room doesn’t like an underdog? Where Crayola brand started from the kids spectrum and moved into art stuff, Giotto Stilvono brand started from the art spectrum and moved into kids stuff.
Expect the highest quality on-paper color and richness of tone. It’s recommended for 3+ years, which I’d say is still too early (wait til 4+ after mastering crayons). Your extra artsy family might be ready for this level of fine motor creativity at an earlier age than most.
We’re all different! Every one.
(02) Crayola “Colors of the World” Children’s Art Standard Kids Skin Tone Colored Pencils (8, 24, or Class Pack)
Before you ever knew skin tone colored pencils existed — a toy designer, market analyst, or CDO (Chief Diversity Officer) was mulling on world events. What happened in Minneapolis? What’s still happening around the world today?
I first learned about “Colors of the World” colored pencils on a trip to Target. I give credit where credit is due. Crayola brand is the reason we are here talking today. The 2020-2021 pioneer of the children’s skin tone art supplies movement.
(03) Lyra Color-Giants Extra-Wide 6 Millimeter Skin Tone Young Kids Colored Pencils (12 Count, 4+ Years)
It’s what’s on the inside that counts. With a 6 millimeters color core and 8 inches long, it’s a standard length at double color-width as a standard (Crayola-style) kids’ colored pencil.
This extra-thick design makes Lyra’s “Made in Germany” the best skin tone colored pencil for early artists ages 4+ years. Most standard-width colored pencils start at a recommended age of 6+ years.
(04) Faber-Castell “World Colors Ecopencils” Diversity Colored Pencils for Kids (27 Count)
Faber-Castel brand offers a full range of skin tone kids coloring and drawing supplies — so you can rest assured this type of colored pencil is kid-friendly.
27 pencils total is made up of 24 eco-friendly standard colored pencils, plus an extra 3 two-sided two-tone skin color pencils to complete the multicultural set. That’s a one-way ticket to “Doodle-rific Children’s Self-Expression”. I believe that’s why you’re here!
Recommended for toddlers 3+ years / 36+ months?! That’s a hefty claim with sharp edges and all — but for parents encouraging early artists with close supervision — YES, learning about world differences with a set of skin tone pencils (with parental supervision) is healthy age-appropriate activity.
(05) Sargent Art Multi-Ethnic Colored Pencils with Assorted Skin Tones (8 Count)
Perfect for kids to pick exactly the right hue for “My Multicultural Friends”.
At 7” inches long with a 3mm led core, it’s not far off from the standard size. As an art supplies brand with a full line of kid-friendly colored pencil sets like neon, metallic, and erasable — you’ll enjoy the high quality pencil-to-paper lay-down.
(06) Mudpuppy “We Are Colorful” Skin Tone Colored Pencils Gift Box (12 Count)
Recommended for kindergarten-aged kiddos (5+ years), Mudpuppy’s “We Are Colorful” line focuses exclusively on inclusive kids’ experiences. Among other art room doodlers, their 12 beautiful hue people color pencil set will take you “Beyond Just Peach and Brown!”
With kinds of kids in mind, this set is easy to sharpen and (depending on your preference) has the best-looking package for thoughtful gifting.
(07) Entrepreneurs Color Too “Proud African Names” Coloring Book Pencils (12 Count)
The thing about calling people a color — is it’s putting a label on it based on your understanding of what that person’s color is. What if I don’t want other people to label me? Kids as young as 7+ years old (minimum age) might not want to be labeled either…
Entrepreneurs Color Too brand decided NOT to label their colors with “color names”. Instead, they give each a name rooted in African heritage. See how “Pass me the darkest black” sounds different than “Is KEISHA available?”
This is cultural innovation in the making. Thank you for the perspective!
(08) Dainayw “Pastel for People’s Faces” Thick Soft Skin Tone Pastel Pencils (12 Count)
If you’re put off by the funky brand name, join the club. We are shopping with a “Factory Brand” today, a foreign seller that sell the same products from the same factory under different brand names. You can tell because they use the same photos on shopping sites like Amazon.
It’s intended for children and beginner artists, so 5 to 6 years old is opportune, not earlier.
With that in mind — the product itself is quite unique. I like it. Ultra-thick 5 millimeter color core with a special type of soft led will really cake on color to the paper. It’s a thicker line than that standard 3 millimeter from Crayola et al.